Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Wigs Original Recipe

Greetings all!

Sorry I've slacked in the posting department...but allow me to share one of my absolute FAVORITE recipes (and one I made up all by myself)! 

I call it the Quinoa Veggie Bowl! 

I know what some of you are thinking:  what the heck IS quinoa?  And more importantly, why am I telling you to eat it? 

Quinoa has long been classified as a "super food"--meaning it's pretty much perfect in terms of nutritional value.  Most people think of it as a grain--but it's actually a seed.  Additionally, it contains all 9 amino acids, which makes it a complete protein.  It's easily digestable, gluten-free and pretty inexpensive.  One cup of quinoa yields about 4 servings cooked (and way more when you add all these veggies).  So here you go...

QUINOA VEGGIE BOWLS

Ingridients:
1.) 1 c quinoa

2.) Any vegetables you like--and as much as you want.  This is a great way to use up any fresh vegetables you have on hand (especially at the end of the week when you need to eat them or they'll go bad), BUT you can also make use of the frozen vegetables in your freezer.  I've used broccoli, asparagus, peppers, carrots, corn, soybeans and eggplant.  With that many vegetables, I do about a handful of each.

3.) The zest and juice of 1 lemon (optional)

4.) Fresh herbs--basil, chives, parsley, etc. (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1.) Cook quinoa according to package instructions.

2.) While quinoa cooks, saute the veggies in a pan over medium-high heat.  For frozen, I don't put anything in the pan, since the water coming from the frozen veggies is usually enough.  For thicker vegetables, like carrots and broccoli, put them in the pan first and give them a minute or two extra to cook before you add thinner vegetables.  For fresh vegetables, like mushrooms, sautee them in just a splash of olive oil until cooked to desired consistency.  I also like to add brussel sprouts (see previous entry for directions). 

3.) Combine vegetables and quinoa in large bowl.  If desired, zest and juice 1 lemon and mix in with quinoa/vegetables.  Also add in herbs.  I don't usually add any salt or pepper, but if your meal seems naked without them, feel free to sprinkle them in there too.  

4.) Serve hot and enjoy!

(Note:  If you WANT to add some meat--go for it!  Sliced grilled chicken would be a fantastic addition.)

No comments:

Post a Comment